Herzog & de Meuron Basel Ltd.
4056 Basel, Switzerland
Site analysis and master plan for a new music and arts center at the intersection of two main axes in the heart of Vitoria. The construction of the new high-speed railway provides an opportunity to redevelop the site of the old tracks and to upgrade it with fine buildings. Various promenades meet at this nexus.
The solitaire is conceived as an agglomerated cube, reminiscent of the old Festspielhaus in Bayreuth.
Developing the basic shape as an additive cruciform of cubes in both its ground plan and section.
Spaces for supporting functions surround the central stage space.
In the model, public function rooms are added to the central cruciform with its stage facilities, consolidating the whole into a cube.
The new music theater, a solitaire, serves as an anchor for the architectural future of the city, an orientation point for public and private projects.
- Ensanche 21 Zabalgunea, Vitoria, Spain
- Structural Engineering: WGG Schnetzer Puskas Ingenieure, Basel, Switzerland
- Specialist / Consulting
- Acoustic Consulting: Estudi Acustic H. Arau, Barcelona, Spain
- Scenography Consulting: Ducks Scéno Vaulx-en-Velin, France
- Theater Equiptment: Chemtrol Division Teatro SA, Madrid, Spain
- Building Data
- Site Area: 91'493 sqft, 8'500 sqm
- Gross floor area (GFA): 188'368 sqft, 17'500 sqm
- Number of levels: 9
- Footprint: 21'527 sqft, 2'000 sqm
- Length: 219 ft, 67 m
- Width: 164 ft, 50 m
- Height: 167 ft, 51 m