Herzog & de Meuron
Project
2012-2016
Realization
2016-2020

The Rise of the Cultural Mile in the 19th Century and its Urban Demise in the 20th Century

In the course of the 19th century, the town fortifications and the adjoining buildings of the former Barf├╝sser and St. Magdalen Convents were demolished, making room for what we would nowadays call a Cultural Mile along the southern fringe of BaselÔÇÖs Old Town. These developments reflect the urban and architectural vision of those times.

The Casino (1826) and the Bl├Âmlein Theater (1831), based on plans by Melchior Berri, were followed in the second half of the 19th century by several important buildings designed in the neo-Baroque style by Johann Jakob Stehlin. Situated between Barf├╝sserplatz and St. Alban-Graben, they included the Kunsthalle (1872), the Stadttheater (1875), the Musiksaal (1876), the Steinenschulhaus (1877), and the Skulpturenhalle (1887).

In 1939, the old casino was demolished to make way for a new one, designed by architects Kehlstadt & Brodtbeck, and when the old Stadttheater was torn down in 1975, the resulting gap created a plaza for the new Theater, thus definitively heralding the end of the former Cultural Mile. Of the original buildings, only the Kunsthalle, the Skulpturenhalle, and the Musiksaal have survived.

Project of 2007, Defeated in a Plebiscite

A new building project designed to replace the 1939 Casino was defeated in a plebiscite of 2007. The project by Zaha Hadid had won first prize in an architectural competition but was rejected by the people, primarily because of its heavy massing. A few years later, in 2012, we were commissioned to conduct an urban study to determine how the limited and qualitatively inadequate space could be reorganized to accommodate ancillary facilities for the historical Musiksaal of 1876. The first phase of these efforts focused on the Musiksaal, one of the oldest, most important concert halls in Europe. It is the resident concert hall of the Basel Symphony Orchestra and also hosts concerts by the renowned Basel Chamber Orchestra and Basel Sinfonietta. With seating for 1400 people, it is internationally acclaimed for its exceptional acoustics. When the hall was built in 1876, service facilities were severely curtailed due to budget constraints. This issue was partially resolved in 1939 by tacking extensions onto the structure. Given these profound changes over the past 80 years, it is impossible for the outdated, cramped facilities to meet the needs of a contemporary concert hall. The survival of this invaluable venue for music necessitated urgent structural renovation and repairs as well as indispensable expansion to accommodate a spacious lobby, backstage facilities for performers, and other technical services.

The Extension

We explored a number of possibilities and variations for generating more space to house the additional facilities required for the Musiksaal. We focused on the area between the Musiksaal and the Barf├╝sserkirche, where the cloisters had been built in the Middle Ages. The area had consequently been cleared for architectural modifications by the Department of Historic Preservation. Initially we proposed extensions to the building between the Barf├╝sserkirche and the Musiksaal in analogy to the former cloisters but soon jettisoned the idea on urban, architectural, and operational grounds. The Stehlin Musiksaal was brilliantly conceived as a palazzo and all attempts to add on to the building looked like ridiculous patchwork. Similar to the annex of 1939, the extension facing the church would have been perceived as being behind the building and thus inferior to the fa├žade facing Steinenberg.

The only viable solution was to treat the Musiksaal as an autonomous building, uncoupled from the 1939 Casino.

A Palazzo

As an independent building, the Musiksaal obviously had to be bigger than the existing core building of 1876. It would have to grow out of the old building as if it had always been there. That is why it was so important to design the addition, accommodating foyers, service facilities, rehearsal rooms and dressing rooms, so that it appears, at least at first sight, to be in the same neo-Baroque architectural tradition. Our design is based on the rear fa├žade of StehlinÔÇÖs building, which had long been largely hidden behind the old extensions. With digital technologies we scanned the fa├žade and we reconstructed it to original scale.

The solid masonry of the historical fa├žade has given way to a fa├žade of insulated, reinforced concrete with rear-ventilated cladding in keeping with contemporary building technology and climate control. We decided that wood would be the most suitable cladding and modified the geometry of the original fa├žade just slightly to meet the structural requirements of that material.

When the Musiksaal was built in the 19th century, certain elements were made out of wood and then painted to match the design of the whole, like the seemingly massive cornice, which had been painted to look like the stone of the fa├žade. The same applies to the columns inside, which had been constructed in wood or plaster because of the acoustics. They, too, were painted to look like stone.

The Lane

Separating the operations of the concert hall and the Stadtcasino also meant demolishing the former entrance area with its staircase. This allowed for a direct connection between Steinenberg and Barf├╝sserplatz, where carriages used to pull up, prior to the demolition of the Berri building in 1938 and the construction of the new Stadtcasino in 1939. Thus, the Musiksaal is now oriented both toward the former Steinenberg Cultural Mile and Barf├╝sserplatz; it is a clear-cut presence on Barf├╝sserplatz, sharing the space on equal footing with the imposing Barf├╝sserkirche. The area between the Church and the Musiksaal, once merely perceived as kind of rear courtyard, has become a new public space.

This volumetric recovery of urban space draws attention to other weaknesses. The 1939 Casino has always turned its back to the square, with a rear fa├žade that looks like an apartment building. Furthermore, the 1980s design of Barf├╝sserplatz includes a tram stop that obstructs the square. The situation undoubtedly needs further consideration, especially as Barf├╝sserplatz is one of BaselÔÇÖs most important public spaces.

The Stehlin Musiksaal

The Musiksaal has been significantly modified several times since it was built in 1876, first in 1905 in conjunction with the Hans Huber Hall built by Fritz Stehlin, at which time an organ was built into the hall, stucco decoration applied to the ceiling, the busts of musicians placed against the walls, and the color scheme revamped. The second major refurbishment followed in 1939, when the old Casino was torn down to make room for the current building by architects Kehlstadt & Brodtbeck. A significant increase in the incline of the rear balcony provided access from the balcony to the newly erected building in between. Further adjustments in the years that followed include closing off the skylight and the windows, replacing the historical seating, redesigning the historical chandeliers, replacing the original parquet, and introducing an entirely new color scheme.

The current restoration of the concert hall has been carried out in close collaboration with the Cantonal Department of Cultural Heritage. The aim of restoring the building to its original state at the time it was first renovated in 1905 went hand-in-hand with the top priority of preserving the hallÔÇÖs acoustic properties. We opened up the skylight and the windows again, re-created the original seating, reduced the incline of the balcony, laid a duplicate of the original parquet flooring, and restored the color scheme of 1905.

The Foyers

The enlargement of the overall volume directly adjoining the concert hall generates space on several levels to accommodate foyers and bars as well as rehearsal rooms, dressing rooms and service facilities. The Hans Huber Saal will continue to host chamber music and is now accessed directly from the new foyers.

The new foyers flanking the concert hall are arranged on two levels, accessing the parquet and the balcony. We have exposed the fa├žade facing the concert hall, mirroring it as a new outside wall. For the end walls, however, we use mirrors, a popular element of the 19th-century, making the hall more spacious in combination with the mirrored ceiling. The corners of the upper foyer are detached from the side walls, so that it seems to be a floating, elliptical panel. The two levels of the foyer, with a central hole, are thus perceived as a single space.

Outside, we focused on simulation in designing the extension of the Stadtcasino, while inside we celebrated the stylistic elements of the 19th-century by heightening the artificiality of form, material, and color.

The Staircases

Despite the urban constraints on the extension of the Stadtcasino, we wanted to provide as much space as possible for audiences. Therefore, in addition to the foyers, we added loggia-like recesses to the expansive staircases, where people can linger during intermissions.

We had the original brocade wallpaper reproduced by the Manufacture Prelle in Lyon. Founded in 1752, the company had already woven these wallpapers for the Op├ęra Garnier the year before the concert hall opened in 1876.

We worked out a custom-made design for the new parquet of the Casino. The lens-shaped geometry of the pattern echoes the wallpaper, while the parquetry is laid out left and right, following the grain of the wood in reference to the historical herringbone parquet of the concert hall.

Taking inspiration from the historical crystal chandeliers, we designed the ÔÇťParruccaÔÇŁ luminaireÔÇömodern LED lighting to line the staircases in the casino. The play of the light is multiplied by the silver of the hammered metal on the ceilings, which artificially heightens the room.

The Hans Huber Saal, the Rehearsal Rooms and the Dressing Rooms

Fritz Stehlin built the Hans Huber Saal for chamber music in 1905 to complement the concert hall. It has been largely restored to its original state in cooperation with the Department of Cultural Heritage. The musiciansÔÇÖ foyer and the dressing rooms built along with the chamber music hall have been similarly restored. In addition to returning to the original color scheme, we referred to historical documents in order to reconstruct the paneling, windows, and doors that had been replaced in later renovations.

The existing dressing rooms of the Hans Huber Saal have been supplemented by new rooms on the top floor of the extension for the casino society. There are also three dormer windows that afford new views of Barf├╝sserplatz and the Barf├╝sserkirche and, on the other side, of the historical roof of the concert hall, thanks to the newly created courtyard. Herzog & de Meuron, 2020

Am su╠łdlichen Rande der Basler Innenstadt entstand mit der Schleifung der inneren Stadtbefestigung und dem Abbruch der angrenzenden Areale des Barfu╠łsser- und St. Magdalenenklosters im Verlaufe des 19. Jahrhunderts entlang des neu angelegten Steinenbergs eine eigentliche Kulturmeile, die stark von den sta╠łdtebaulichen und architektonischen Visionen der damaligen Zeit gepra╠łgt war.

Der Errichtung des Casinos (1826) und des Blo╠łmleintheaters (1831) nach Pla╠łnen von Melchior Berri folgten in der zweiten Ha╠łlfte des 19. Jahrhunderts zwischen Barfu╠łsserplatz und St. Alban-Graben weitere Grossbauten in neubarockem Stil von Johann Jakob Stehlin: Die Kunsthalle (1872), das Stadttheater (1875), der Musiksaal (1876), das Steinenschulhaus (1877) und schliesslich die Skulpturenhalle (1887).

Das alte Casino wich 1939 dem heutigen Bau der Architekten Kehlstadt & Brodtbeck, und 1975 entstand mit dem Abbruch des alten Stadttheaters eine Lu╠łcke als Vorplatz des neu errichteten Stadttheaters, womit die sta╠łdtebauliche Einheit der ehemaligen Kulturmeile endgu╠łltig auseinanderfiel. Von den urspru╠łnglichen Geba╠łuden sind nur noch die Kunst- und Skulpturenhalle sowie der Musiksaal erhalten.

Ein Neubauprojekt von 2007 scheiterte bei einer Volksabstimmung

2007 wurde in einer Volksabstimmung ein Neubauprojekt, welches den Casinosaal von 1939 ersetzen sollte, abgelehnt. Das abgelehnte Projekt von Zaha Hadid war als Siegerprojekt aus einem Architekturwettbewerb hervorgegangen und fand beim Volk aber ÔÇô vor allem wegen seiner ma╠łchtigen Kubatur ÔÇô keine Akzeptanz. Ein paar Jahre spa╠łter ÔÇô 2012 ÔÇô wurden wir mit einer sta╠łdtebaulichen Studie beauftragt fu╠łr eine Neuordnung des knappen und qualitativ ungenu╠łgenden Raumangebots, welches dem historischen Musiksaal vom 1876 infrastrukturell zudienen soll. Diese Anstrengungen sollten sich in einem ersten Schritt auf den eigentlichen Musiksaal konzentrieren, der heute zu den a╠łltesten und bedeutendsten Musiksa╠łlen Europas za╠łhlt. Er ist Stammhaus des Sinfonieorchesters Basel und auch das renommierte Kammerorchester Basel und die Basel Sinfonietta veranstalten dort ihre Konzerte. Der Saal mit seinen 1400 Pla╠łtzen wird fu╠łr seine hervorragende Akustik international geru╠łhmt. Beim Bau mussten 1876 jedoch aus Kostengru╠łnden erhebliche Abstriche bei den Servicebereichen in Kauf genommen werden, was 1939 teilweise durch den Saal umschliessende Anbauten behoben werden konnte. Diese verknorzten Anbauten mit ihrer in die Jahre gekommenen Atmospha╠łre vermo╠łgen aber die sich in den letzten 80 Jahren stark vera╠łnderten Anforderungen an ein zeitgema╠łsses Konzerthaus bei weitem nicht mehr zu erfu╠łllen. Neben der dringend erforderlichen baulichen Sanierung war also insbesondere eine Erweiterung mit grosszu╠łgigen Foyers, Ku╠łnstlerbereichen und Servicera╠łumen fu╠łr das ku╠łnftige Fortbestehen dieses wertvollen Musiksaales unumga╠łnglich.

Die Erweiterung

Um dem bestehenden Musiksaal mehr Freiraum fu╠łr die beno╠łtigte Raumerweiterung zu verschaffen, wurden diverse Mo╠łglichkeiten und Varianten untersucht. Dazu konzentrierten wir uns auf den Raum zwischen dem Musiksaal und der Barfu╠łsserkirche, der im Mittelalter mit Klosteranlagen verbaut war und deshalb aus der Sicht des Denkmalpflegers fu╠łr bauliche Vera╠łnderungen freigegeben wurde. In Analogie zu diesen ehemaligen Klosteranlagen haben wir in ersten Studien kreuzgangartige Anbauten zwischen Barfu╠łsserkirche und Musiksaal gepru╠łft. Aus sta╠łdtebaulichen, architektonischen und betrieblichen Gru╠łnden haben wir diese jedoch bald schon verworfen. Der Stehlinsche Musiksaal war als souvera╠łner Palazzo konzipiert und sa╠łmtliche Versuche, Aufbauten anzudocken, wirkten wie eine la╠łcherliche Bastelarbeit. Wie schon die Zubauten von 1939 wurden die kirchenseitigen Anbauten als Ru╠łckseiten wahrgenommen, minderwertig im Vergleich zur Schaufassade am Steinenberg. Die einzige Lo╠łsung, die uns u╠łberzeugte, war den Musiksaal als autonomen, vom Casinobau von 1939 frei gespielten Bauko╠łrper zu begreifen.

Ein Palazzo

Der Musiksaal als eigensta╠łndiger Bauko╠łrper musste natu╠łrlich gro╠łsser werden als der bestehende Kernbau von 1876. Er musste sozusagen aus dem Altbau herauswachsen, so als sei es schon immer so gewesen. Darum war es wichtig, den zu erga╠łnzenden Teil, welcher die Ra╠łume fu╠łr Foyers, Service und Ku╠łnstleraufenthalt entha╠łlt, in der zumindest fu╠łr den flu╠łchtigen Blick gleichen neobarocken Architektursprache zu gestalten. Als Modell dazu diente uns die bestehende, durch Anbauten u╠łber die Jahre weitgehend verdeckte Stehlinsche Ru╠łckfassade, welche wir mit digitaler Technologie erfassten und in originaler Gro╠łsse nachgebaut haben. Wa╠łhrend es sich bei der historischen Fassade um ein massives Gema╠łuer handelt, ist die Fassade des Neubaus aus bautechnischen und energetischen Gru╠łnden als geda╠łmmte Stahlbetonwand mit einer hinterlu╠łfteten Verkleidung ausgebildet. Entsprechend entschieden wir uns, fu╠łr diese Verkleidung Holz als das geeignetste Material zu verwenden. Die von der Originalfassade u╠łbernommenen Geometrien haben wir hierbei leicht vera╠łndert, um den konstruktiven Anforderungen des Werkstoffs Holz gerecht zu werden. Bereits bei der Erstellung des Musiksaals im 19. Jahrhundert wurden gewisse Bauteile entgegen ihrer eigentlichen Erscheinung in Holz ausgefu╠łhrt und dem beabsichtigen gestalterischen Ausdruck entsprechend angestrichen. Beispielsweise wurde das massiv erscheinende Dachgesims damals zur konstruktiven Vereinfachung vollsta╠łndig in Holz ausgefu╠łhrt und im selben Farbton wie die steinerne Fassade gestrichen. Auch die Sa╠łulen des Musiksaals wurden aus akustischen Gru╠łnden in Holz bzw. Gips erbaut und mit einer steinern anmutenden Bemalung verziert.

Die Gasse

Mit der betrieblichen Entkoppelung von Musiksaal und Stadtcasino und dem damit einhergehenden Abbruch des damaligen Eingangs- und Treppenbereichs entstand zwischen Steinenberg und Barfu╠łsserplatz wieder eine direkte Verbindung in Form einer offenen Gasse, so wie diese als Kutschenvorfahrt bis zum Abbruch des Berri-Baus im Jahre 1938 und dem Neubau des Stadtcasinos von 1939 bestand. Der Musiksaal orientiert sich damit sowohl hin zur ehemaligen Kulturmeile des Steinenbergs als auch zum Barfu╠łsserplatz. Der Musiksaal steht nun wirklich auch auf dem Barfu╠łsserplatz, und er tritt neben der ma╠łchtigen Barfu╠łsserkirche als gleichwertiger Bauko╠łrper in Erscheinung. Es entsteht so ein neuer o╠łffentlicher Raum zwischen Kirche und Musiksaal, der bisher bloss als eine Art Hinterhof wahrgenommen wurde. Diese volumetrische und sta╠łdtebauliche Kla╠łrung lenkt unseren Blick jedoch auf weitere sta╠łdtebauliche Ma╠łngel ÔÇô der Casinobau von 1939, der sich mit seiner an einen Wohnbau erinnernden Ru╠łckfassade seit jeher vom Platz abgewendet hat, sowie die Gestaltung des Barfu╠łsserplatzes aus den 80er Jahren mit samt dem Tramha╠łuschen, das den Platz versperrt. Dies ruft geradezu danach, nun in einem weiteren Schritt neu u╠łber den Barfu╠łsserplatz als einer der wichtigsten o╠łffentlichen Ra╠łume Basels nachzudenken.

Der Stehlinsche Musiksaal

Der Musiksaal, der heute zu den a╠łltesten und bedeutendsten Musiksa╠łlen Europas za╠łhlt, hat seit seiner Erbauung im Jahre 1876 eine Vielzahl bedeutender Vera╠łnderungen erfahren. Zusammen mit dem Bau des Hans Huber-Saals durch Fritz Stehlin erfolgte 1905 eine erste Erneuerung. Neben dem Einbau der Orgel wurde die Decke mit Stuckaturen versehen, an den Wa╠łnden wurden Musikerbu╠łsten angebracht, und die farbliche Erscheinung des Saals wurde einer Neugestaltung unterzogen. Eine zweite tiefgreifende Umgestaltung erfolgte 1939 mit dem Abbruch des alten Casinos und dem heutigen Bau der Architekten Kehlstadt & Brodtbeck. Damals wurde die Neigung des ru╠łckwertigen Balkons stark angehoben, um den Zugang zum Balkon vom neu errichteten Zwischenbau her zu gewa╠łhrleisten. In den darauffolgenden Jahren wurden weitere Anpassungen vorgenommen wie das Schliessen des Oblichts und der Fenster, der Ersatz der historischen Bestuhlung, die Umgestaltung der historischen Kronleuchter, der Ersatz des urspru╠łnglichen Parketts sowie eine vo╠łllig neue Farbgebung. Im Rahmen des Erweiterungsprojekts wurde bei der Restaurierung des Musiksaals neben dem Erhalt der akustischen Eigenschaften als oberste Vorgabe in enger Zusammenarbeit mit der Kantonalen Denkmalpflege entschieden, den Saal mo╠łglichst originalgetreu in seinen Zustand aus der Zeit der ersten Erneuerung von 1905 zuru╠łckzufu╠łhren. So haben wir das Oblicht und die Fenster wieder geo╠łffnet, die Bestuhlung originalgetreu nachgebaut, die Neigung des Balkons verringert, das Parkett in seiner urspru╠łnglichen Form ersetzt und die Farbgestaltung von 1905 wiederhergestellt.

Die Foyers

Die Verbreiterung des Volumens bietet nun auf mehreren Ebenen und unmittelbar am Konzertsaal gelegen neuen Raum fu╠łr Foyers und Bars, aber auch fu╠łr Ku╠łnstlerbereiche und Servicera╠łume. Auch der Hans Huber- Saal, der als Kammermusiksaal erhalten bleibt, erschliesst sich direkt von diesen neuen Foyers her. Die entlang des Saals angeordneten neuen Foyers gliedern sich in zwei Ebenen, von denen aus das Parkett und der Balkon erschlossen werden. Hierbei haben wir zum Saal hin die alte Fassade des Musiksaals freigelegt und diese gespiegelt als neue Aussenwand. Die Stirnwa╠łnde hingegen nehmen das im 19. Jahrhundert ha╠łufig verwendete Element des Spiegels auf und geben dem Raum zusammen mit der verspiegelten Decke mehr Grosszu╠łgigkeit. Wie eine schwebende elliptische Platte lo╠łst sich das obere Foyer in den Ecken von den Seitenwa╠łnden. Zusammen mit der zentralen O╠łffnung werden die beiden Ebenen des Foyers so als ein einziger Raum erfahren. Wa╠łhrend wir fu╠łr das a╠łussere Erscheinungsbild der Erweiterung des Stadtcasinos einen simulativen Ansatz verfolgt haben, wollten wir im Innern die stilistischen Elemente des 19. Jahrhunderts zelebrieren und die Ku╠łnstlichkeit dieser Elemente in Bezug auf Formen, Materialien und Farben noch hervorheben.

Die Treppenha╠łuser

Aufgrund des durch die sta╠łdtebauliche Situation beschra╠łnkten Spielraums fu╠łr die Erweiterung des Stadtcasinos war es uns ein Anliegen, neben den eigentlichen Foyers auch weitere Ra╠łume als Aufenthaltsorte auszugestalten. So dienen die beiden grosszu╠łgigen Treppenha╠łuser nicht nur der Erschliessung. Mit ihren logenartigen Ausbuchten laden sie in den Pausen auch zum Verweilen ein. Bei der Maufacture Perelle in Lyon liessen wir die original Brokat Tapete reproduzieren, die das 1752 gegru╠łndete Unternehmen bereits fu╠łr die ein Jahr vor dem Musiksaal ero╠łffnete Ope╠üra Garnier gewoben hatte. Fu╠łr das Stadtcasino haben wir eigens ein Parkett entwickelt. Wa╠łhrend sich die linsenfo╠łrmige Geometrie vom Muster der Tapete ableitet, so nimmt die Verlegung mit einer abwechselnd links- und rechtsla╠łufigen Holzmaserung Bezug auf das historische Fischgra╠łtparkett des Musiksaals. Inspiriert vom Lichtspiel der historischen Kristallleuchter haben wir mit moderner LED Technik fu╠łr das Stadtcasino die ÔÇ×ParruccaÔÇť Leuchte entworfen, die den Weg des Besuchers durch die Treppenha╠łuser sa╠łumt. Das Lichtspiel der Leuchten wird vervielfacht durch die mit silbernem Schlagmetall versehenen Decken, die den Raum optisch u╠łberho╠łhen.

Der Hans Huber-Saal und die Ku╠łnstlerbereiche

Als Erga╠łnzung zum Musiksaal errichtete Fritz Stehlin 1905 den Hans Huber-Saal fu╠łr Kammermusik. Im Rahmen des Erweiterungsprojekts wurde dieser in enger Zusammenarbeit mit der Denkmalpflege weitestgehend in seinen originalen Zustand zuru╠łckgefu╠łhrt. Dies galt auch fu╠łr das Erscheinungsbild der damals mit dem Hans Huber-Saal gebauten Ku╠łnstlerfoyers, Stimmzimmer und Solistenzimmer. Neben der Wiederherstellung der urspru╠łnglichen Farbgebung wurden Verta╠łfelungen, Fenster und Tu╠łren renoviert, und wo diese aufgrund spa╠łterer Umbauten nicht mehr vorhanden waren, haben wir sie nach historischem Vorbild rekonstruiert. Neben den bestehenden Ku╠łnstlerbereichen im Anbau des Hans Huber-Saals, entstanden im Dachgeschoss des Erweiterungsbaus neue Ra╠łumlichkeiten fu╠łr die Casino-Gesellschaft. Von dort aus ero╠łffnen sich gegen aussen durch drei Dachlukarnen neue Blicke auf den Barfu╠łsserplatz und die Barfu╠łsserkirche, wa╠łhrend man auf der gegenu╠łberliegenden Seite durch den neu geschaffenen Innenhof auf das historische Dach des Musiksaals sieht. Herzog & de Meuron, 2020

402_CI_1912_001_EXTENSION_W-R
402_CI_1912_001_EXTENSION_W-R
402_CP_2005_718_RW_H
402_CP_2005_718_RW_H
402_CP_2005_709_RW_H
402_CP_2005_709_RW_H
402_CP_2005_733_RW_H
402_CP_2005_733_RW_H
402_CP_2005_723_RW_H
402_CP_2005_723_RW_H
402_CP_2005_735_RW_U
402_CP_2005_735_RW_U
402_CP_2005_729_RW_H
402_CP_2005_729_RW_H
402_CP_2005_702_RW_U
402_CP_2005_702_RW_U
402_CP_2005_714_RW_H
402_CP_2005_714_RW_H

402_VD_221003_EXTENSION-OF-THE-STADTCASINO-BASEL

402_CP_2009_719_RW_H
402_CP_2009_719_RW_H

Drawings

402_DR_2007_000_GRU_UG_final_1-400
402_DR_2007_000_GRU_UG_final_1-400
402_DR_2007_001_GRU_EG_final_1-400
402_DR_2007_001_GRU_EG_final_1-400
402_DR_2007_002_GRU_OG1_final_1-400
402_DR_2007_002_GRU_OG1_final_1-400
402_DR_2007_003_GRU_OG2_final_1-400
402_DR_2007_003_GRU_OG2_final_1-400
402_DR_2007_004_GRU_DG_final_1-400
402_DR_2007_004_GRU_DG_final_1-400
402_DR_2007_005_S-1_final_1-400
402_DR_2007_005_S-1_final_1-400
402_DR_2007_006_S-2_final_1-400
402_DR_2007_006_S-2_final_1-400
402_DR_2007_007_S-3_final_1-400
402_DR_2007_007_S-3_final_1-400
402_DR_2007_008_S-4_final_1-400
402_DR_2007_008_S-4_final_1-400
402_DR_2007_009_S-5_final_1-400
402_DR_2007_009_S-5_final_1-400
402_DR_2007_011_E-North_final_1-400
402_DR_2007_011_E-North_final_1-400
402_DR_2007_013_E-East_final_1-400
402_DR_2007_013_E-East_final_1-400
402_DR_2007_010_E-South_final_1-400
402_DR_2007_010_E-South_final_1-400
402_DR_2007_012_E-West_final_1-400
402_DR_2007_012_E-West_final_1-400

Team

Facts

Client
Casino-Gesellschaft Basel, Switzerland
Planning
Project Architect: Herzog & de Meuron Basel Ltd, Basel, Switzerland
Executive Architect : Ritter Giger Schmid Archtikten SIA AG, Basel, Switzerland
MEP Engineering: Waldhauser+Hermann AG, M├╝nchenstein, Switzerland
Structural Engineering: Aegerter & Bosshardt AG, Basel, Switzerland
HVAC Engineering : Waldhauser+Hermann AG, M├╝nchenstein, Switzerland
Electrical Engineering: Pro Engineering AG, Basel, Switzerland
Plumbing Engineering: Suiselectra Ingenieurunternehmung AG, Basel, Switzerland
Project Management: Glator AG, Reinach, Switzerland
Specialist / Consulting
Acoustic Consulting: M├╝ller-BBM GmbH, Planegg, Germany
Audio Visual Consulting: auviso audio visual solutions AG, Muttenz, Switzerland
Facade Consulting: Buri Mueller Partner GmbH, Burgdorf, Switzerland
Facade Consulting: Pirmin Jung Ingenieure AG, Rain, Switzerland
Fire Protection Consulting: Gruner AG, Basel, Switzerland
Geotechnic Consulting: Geotechnisches Institut AG Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Lighting Consulting: Reflexion AG, Zurich, Switzerland
Surveyor: A. Aegerter & Dr. O. Bosshardt AG, Basel, Switzerland
Building Data
Gross floor area (GFA): 91'363 sqft, 8'488 sqm
GFA above ground: 61'300 sqft, 5'695 sqm
GFA below ground: 30'063 sqft, 2'793 sqm
Number of levels: 7
Footprint: 20'451 sqft, 1'900 sqm
Length: 180 ft, 55 m
Width: 118 ft, 36 m
Height: 72 ft, 22 m
Gross volume (GV): 1'657'777 cbft, 46'943 cbm
Facade surface: 29'062 sqft, 2'700 sqm
Links
www.stadtcasino-basel.ch

Bibliography

Sabine von Fischer, Jacques Herzog: ÔÇťLeise t├Ânt die Sinfonie der Stadt. Erst in den Innenr├Ąumen des sanierten Basler Stadtcasinos spielen Herzog & de Meuron in voller Laufst├Ąrke.ÔÇŁ In: Eric Guyer (Ed.). ÔÇťNeue Z├╝rcher Zeitung.ÔÇŁ Zurich, Neue Z├╝rcher Zeitung, 24.06.2020. pp. 27.

Location