Herzog & de Meuron
Project
2013-2017
Realization
2016-2021

K√ľppersm√ľhle

A grain mill was erected in 1860 on the site of the present Museum K√ľppersm√ľhle by industrialist Wilhelm Vedder, one of the founding fathers of Duisburg‚Äôs Inner Harbour. In 1900 the first mill using the most up-to-date technology went into operation in the Inner Harbour, which became known as the ‚Äėbread basket of the Ruhr district‚Äô, and in 1908 the earlier buildings were replaced by the three-part structure now housing the museum. The business was taken over in 1912 by the Werner & Nicola works, who added a boiler house with chimney. The adjoining steel silos were constructed in the 1930s. In 1969 the company merged with the K√ľppers works of Homberg, which gave its name to the mill and the museum. The mill closed down in 1972.

The Museum K√ľppersm√ľhle (MKM), a project by Herzog & de Meuron dating from 1999, was the first milestone in the transformation of the Inner Harbour into an attractive focus of urban life. As a museum, the former mill, with its historic brick elevations, became the centre of a new, high-grade, multi-use inner-city location. Since 1999 the K√ľppersm√ľhle has housed an art museum, run by the Stiftung f√ľr Kunst und Kultur e.V. (a registered cultural association in Bonn), that contains one of the finest collections of German art from the 1950s to the present

The Ströher Collection

The MKM Museum K√ľppersm√ľhle presents key works and groups of works from the Str√∂her Collection, one of the most extensive private collections of German post-war art ‚Äď to date on 2,500 m2 of exhibition space. With over 2,000 works, the collection comprises central positions of art development in Germany, from the immediate post-war period to the present. The focus is on painting, but the collection also includes sculpture and photography. Over time, a desire for a building capable of housing all the works of art and displaying them in a manner worthy of a collection that includes many artists whose major significance is recognized internationally, among them Georg Baselitz, K. O. G√∂tz, J√∂rg Immendorff, Anselm Kiefer, Sigmar Polke, Gerhard Richter, Fred Thieler and Rosemarie Trockel.

Extension project

An extension to accommodate the collection was to be erected in 2008 on top of the silo towers. Faulty work by the steel-working company involved, and the company’s subsequent insolvency, meant that the steel-frame construction could not be installed. Construction work ceased and the project was abandoned owing to financing problems encountered by the client, the real estate company GEBAG. The building complex became the property of the Ströhers.

The extension project was activated in 2013, with the Ströher family as clients. A feasibility study undertaken by Herzog & de Meuron explored the potential of the site under current conditions. The resulting project constitutes a radical new start. The original idea of an illuminated cube balanced on the silo towers and visible from afar has been jettisoned. Instead, we propose to erect a building whose dimensions and materials accord with the sequence of historic brick structures lining the dockside. The new structure thus completes the existing museum complex in a visually appropriate way and forms a suitable conclusion to the row of buildings along the dock. At first glance it might seem as though the new building had always been there.

The new structure consists of three parts with a height of approximately 33.5, 30.5 and 27.5 metres respectively. In terms of mass, height and materials they take their cue from the existing buildings, continuing them and rounding them off to form a harmonious whole. Two parts contain the exhibition areas, the third provides access and houses utilities and art handling facilities. With five levels, one below ground, floor space amounts to some 4,900 square metres, in addition to exhibition areas of roughly 2,500 square metres.

Massing was crucially influenced by a ban on building within forty metres of the autobahn. Optimum use is made of the available area. The arrangement of the exhibition structures ‚Äď the tallest of the three parts and the smaller one adjoining it ‚Äď echoes the course of the building-free zone, while one elevation of the third part runs along its boundary. The additively composed parts remain distinctly legible. At its tallest point (the uppermost level of the larger exhibition component), the new structure is related in height to the main existing building.

The extension is to be linked directly to the existing exhibition spaces by bridges through the silos at the first and second upper levels, facilitating uninterrupted visitor access throughout the museum. Similarly, the height of the new exhibition areas takes its cue from the existing galleries. The silos will not only be converted into elements connecting the old with the new; they will also house distinctive exhibition spaces. Their original materials are to be retained, however, because the silos are an indispensable ‚Äėsculptural‚Äô component of the K√ľppersm√ľhle as an industrial monument. Long reduced to this historical and aesthetic aspect, they acquire a new function through refurbishment as access links and display areas. Six inner silos had already been removed. Now, with the ground-floor ceiling opened up and the insertion of the bridges, the entire space will be visible to visitors. In addition, the silos can be seen from some of the exhibition areas.

As in the existing galleries, windows in the elevations facing the dock and Philosophenweg offer varied and striking views of the site and its surroundings. The material of the elevations echoes the brick of the existing buildings.

A staircase permits continuous visitor circulation and the arrangement of all the exhibits in a consecutive sequence. In conception and spatial context the staircase is related to that featured in the museum project of 1999.

The new exhibition areas echo the overall additive character of the K√ľppersm√ľhle as a typical industrial facility of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. In their architecture and interior design, the galleries echo the existing exhibition spaces. The uppermost display area, which is not directly accessible from the existing building, consists of a visible shed construction with top-lighting. All exhibition levels have a spatial arrangement facilitating flexible multiple use.

The silos are to be fitted out with a superstructure, as they were originally, in the 1930s. Featuring a viewing platform accessible from the dockside promenade, the superstructure will grant the silos yet another new function.

Herzog & de Meuron, 2021

K√ľppersm√ľhle

Die Gr√ľndung eines M√ľhlenbetriebs im Jahr 1860 auf dem Areal des heutigen Museums K√ľppersm√ľhle geht auf den Unternehmer Wilhelm Vedder zur√ľck, einen der V√§ter des Duisburger Innenhafens. 1900 wurde die erste M√ľhle unter Einsatz seinerzeit modernster Technik am Innenhafen, dem ‚ÄěBrotkorb des Ruhrgebiets‚Äú, in Betrieb genommen, 1908 ersetzte man die ersten Geb√§ude durch den ‚Äď heute zum Museum umgestalteten ‚Äď dreifl√ľgeligen Neubau. Das Unternehmen wurde 1912 von den Werken Werner & Nicola √ľbernommen, die das Kesselhaus mit Schornstein erg√§nzten. Die angrenzenden Stahlsilos wurden in den 1930er Jahren errichtet. Die Fusion mit den Homberger K√ľpperswerken erfolgte 1969. Sie gaben der M√ľhle und dem heutigen Museum ihren Namen. Im Jahr 1972 wurde der M√ľhlenbetrieb stillgelegt.

Das Museum K√ľppersm√ľhle, ein Projekt von Herzog & de Meuron aus dem Jahre 1997, setzte den ersten Meilenstein in der Umgestaltung des alten Innenhafens zu einem Anziehungspunkt st√§dtischen Lebens. Aus dem ehemaligen M√ľhlen- und Speichergeb√§ude K√ľppersm√ľhle mit seiner historischen Backsteinfassade wurde das MKM Museum K√ľppersm√ľhle. Dieses bildete den Kern f√ľr eine hochwertige, innerst√§dtisch heterogene Nutzung des Areals. Initiiert durch die Stiftung f√ľr Kunst und Kultur e.V. Bonn, beherbergt die K√ľppersm√ľhle seit 1999 als Museum f√ľr moderne Kunst eine der bedeutendsten Sammlungen deutscher Kunst aus den f√ľnfziger Jahren bis heute.

Sammlung Ströher

Das MKM Museum K√ľppersm√ľhle pr√§sentiert Schl√ľsselwerke und Werkgruppen der Sammlung Str√∂her, einer der umfangreichsten privaten Sammlungen deutscher Nachkriegskunst ‚Äď bislang auf gut 2.500 m2 Ausstellungsfl√§che. Die Sammlung umfasst mit √ľber 2.000 Werken zentrale Positionen der Kunstentwicklung in Deutschland, von der unmittelbaren Nachkriegszeit bis in die Gegenwart. Der Fokus liegt auf Malerei, aber auch Skulptur und Fotografie finden sich im Sammlungskonvolut. Viele der Sammlungsk√ľnstler geh√∂ren nicht nur in Deutschland, sondern auch international zu den wichtigsten, darunter Georg Baselitz, K.O. G√∂tz, J√∂rg Immendorff, Anselm Kiefer, Sigmar Polke, Gerhard Richter, Fred Thieler oder Rosemarie Trockel. Mit der Zeit entstand der Wunsch, diese international wichtige Sammlung in einem ad√§quaten Haus zu konzentrieren und zu zeigen.

Projekt Erweiterung

Im Jahr 2008 sollte auf den Silot√ľrmen ein Erweiterungsbau f√ľr die Sammlung Str√∂her erfolgen. Wegen der grob mangelhaften Ausf√ľhrung und der Insolvenz der beteiligten Stahlbaufirma konnte das Stahlskelett jedoch nie auf die Silos gehoben werden. Die Bauarbeiten wurden eingestellt und das Projekt aufgrund von Finanzierungsschwierigkeiten seitens der Bauherrin Gebag gestoppt. Der Geb√§udekomplex ging in den Besitz der Sammler Str√∂her √ľber.

Im Jahr 2013 erfolgte der Start des Erweiterungsprojektes unter der direkten Bauherrschaft der Familie Str√∂her. Daf√ľr wurde von Herzog & de Meuron in einer vorgeschalteten Machbarkeitsstudie das Potenzial einer Erweiterung unter den heutigen Gegebenheiten untersucht.

Das neue Projekt ist ein radikaler Neuanfang. Das urspr√ľngliche Konzept eines weithin sichtbaren, auf den Silos balancierenden Leuchtkubus‚Äô wird nicht weiter verfolgt. Stattdessen reiht sich der Erweiterungsbau in seiner Massst√§blichkeit und Materialisierung in die Kette der eindrucksvollen historischen Backsteinbauten entlang des Hafenbeckens ein und komplettiert so den bestehenden Museumskomplex. Zugleich definiert der neue Kopfbau den Abschluss der gesamten Geb√§udezeile am Hafenbecken. F√ľr den fl√ľchtigen Betrachter wirken die neu hinzugef√ľgten Bauk√∂rper so, als h√§tten sie schon immer dort gestanden.

Es sind drei unterschiedlich hohe Bauk√∂rper mit ca. 33.5 m, 30.5 m und 27.5 m, die sich hinsichtlich Volumetrie, H√∂henentwicklung und Materialisierung am Bestand orientieren und diesen zu einem stimmigen Gesamtkomplex fortschreiben. Zwei der Kuben beinhalten dabei die Ausstellungsfl√§chen, der dritte Bauk√∂rper dient der Erschliessung, der Versorgung und dem Art-Handling. Es entsteht eine zus√§tzliche Bruttogeschossfl√§che von etwa 4‚Äė900 m√ā√ā√ā¬≤ auf vier oberirdischen Geschossen und einem Untergeschoss, sowie einer Ausstellungsfl√§che von ca. 2‚Äô500 m√ā√ā√ā¬≤. Pr√§gend auf die Volumetrie wirkt sich dabei die 40-Meter-Anbauverbotszone zur Autobahn aus. Der durch ein zus√§tzliches Volumen erg√§nzte, √ľbergeordnete Ausstellungskubus sowie die Nebennutzungsfl√§che nehmen diese Baugrenze auf und nutzen die zur Verf√ľgung stehende Fl√§che optimal aus. Die additiv zusammengef√ľgten Bauk√∂rper bleiben dabei jeweils klar ablesbar. Das oberste Geschoss (3.OG) orientiert sich im Bereich des oberen Abschlusses am bestehenden Hauptbauk√∂rper. Der Erweiterungsbau wird mittels Br√ľcken in den Silos im 1. und 2. OG unmittelbar an die bestehenden Ausstellungsgeschosse angeschlossen, so dass sich eine Durchg√§ngigkeit der Wegebeziehung ergibt. Die H√∂he der neuen Ausstellungsr√§ume orientiert sich direkt am Bestand. Die Silos werden zu einem r√§umlichen Verbindungs- und Erschliessungselement zwischen dem bestehenden Museum und der direkt an die Silos angrenzenden Erweiterung sowie zu einem beeindruckenden Ausstellungsraum umfunktioniert. Sie bleiben aber in ihrer rohen, urspr√ľnglichen Materialit√§t erhalten. Die Silos, welche l√§ngst nicht mehr gebraucht werden, sind unverzichtbarer, plastischer Bestandteil des Industriedenkmals K√ľppersm√ľhle. Als Erschliessungselement und Ausstellungsraum erhalten sie nun einen neuen Verwendungszweck und sind nicht bloss dekorative Versatz- st√ľcke. Durch die zuvor herausgenommenen sechs inneren Silos und die grossz√ľgige Decken√∂ffnung √ľber dem Erdgeschoss sowie die Br√ľckenverbindungen wird der Siloraum f√ľr den Besucher √ľber die gesamte H√∂he sicht- und erlebbar. Ausserdem werden die Silos √ľber die z. T. offenen Ausstellung- und Galeriefl√§chen erfahrbar.

Die Fassadenöffnungen zum Innenhafen und in Richtung Philosophenweg bieten, wie in den bestehenden Ausstellungsräumen, vielfältige Einblicke und vor allem auch einen eindrucksvollen Ausblick in die Umgebung. Ziegel als Fassadenmaterial nimmt die Materialität des bestehenden Komplexes auf.

Das ergänzende Treppenhaus ermöglicht eine kontinuierliche Besucherzirkulation und einen geschlossenen Museumsrundgang. Es nimmt konzeptionell und räumlich Bezug zum Treppenhaus des ersten Museumsprojektes von 1999.

Die neuen Ausstellungsvolumen f√ľgen sich in die bestehende, additive Gesamtkomposition der K√ľppersm√ľhle, einer typischen Industrieanlage des 19./20. Jahrhunderts. Der innere Ausbau und die Architektur der Ausstellungsr√§ume orientieren sich an den bestehenden S√§len und setzen diese fort. Der nicht direkt √ľber den Bestand angebundene obere Ausstellungsraum ist als Oberlichtsaal mit sichtbarer Shed-Konstruktion konzipiert. Die r√§umliche Struktur der Ausstellungsgeschosse ist so ausgelegt, dass eine vielf√§ltige und flexible r√§umliche Nutzung und Bespielung m√∂glich ist.

Der obere Abschluss des Silos wird, √§hnlich seiner urspr√ľnglichen Erscheinung der dreissiger Jahre, mit einem erg√§nzenden Aufbau erg√§nzt und erh√§lt als extern von der Innenhafenpromenade zug√§ngliche Aussichtsplattform eine neue Nutzung.

Herzog & de Meuron, 2021

433_CP_210923_700_PRI
433_CP_210923_700_PRI
433_CP_210923_711_PRI
433_CP_210923_711_PRI
433_CP_210923_713_PRI
433_CP_210923_713_PRI
433_CP_210923_701_PRI
433_CP_210923_701_PRI
433_CP_210923_702_PRI
433_CP_210923_702_PRI
433_CP_210923_703_PRI
433_CP_210923_703_PRI
433_CP_210923_704_PRI
433_CP_210923_704_PRI
433_CP_210923_705_PRI
433_CP_210923_705_PRI
433_CP_210923_710_PRI
433_CP_210923_710_PRI
433_CP_210923_712_PRI
433_CP_210923_712_PRI
433_CP_210923_714_PRI
433_CP_210923_714_PRI

Process

A grain mill was erected in 1860 on the site of the present Museum KuŐąppersmuŐąhle by industrialist Wilhelm Vedder, one of the founding fathers of Duisburg‚Äôs Inner Harbour, which closed down in 1972. The Museum KuŐąppersmuŐąhle (MKM), a project by Herzog & de Meuron dating from 1999, was the first milestone in the transformation of the Inner Harbour into an attractive focus of urban life. As a museum, the former mill, with its historic brick elevations and characteristic original silos, became the centre of a new multi-use site within the city.

The conversion of the grain mill into the KuŐąppersmuŐąhle Museum was completed by Herzog & de Meuron in 1999. An extension to accommodate the Str√∂her collection was to be erected in 2008 on top of the silo towers, but after construction setbacks, it was put on hold until 2013. The extension project was then reactivated, this time with the Str√∂her family as clients, resulting in a radical new start. The original idea of an illuminated cube balanced on the silo towers and visible from afar was abandoned, replaced with a proposal to maintain the proportion and materiality of the existing structure ‚ÄĒ as if the new building had always been there.

301_CI_1103_005_tag
301_CI_1103_005_tag
301_CO_1107_035
301_CO_1107_035
433_CI_1706_Facade_North
433_CI_1706_Facade_North

The museum presents key works and groups of works from the Str√∂her Collection, one of the most extensive private collections of German post-war art to date on 2,500 m2 of exhibition space. With over 2,000 works, the collection comprises central positions of art development in Germany, from the immediate post-war period to the present. The focus is on painting, but the collection also includes sculpture and photography.

433_CP_210923_708_PRI
433_CP_210923_708_PRI
433_CP_210923_706_PRI
433_CP_210923_706_PRI

The architecture and interior design of the new exhibition areas are based on the overall character of the KuŐąppersmuŐąhle as a typical industrial facility of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. The uppermost display area, which is not directly accessible from the existing building, consists of a visible shed construction with top-lighting. All exhibition levels have a spatial arrangement facilitating flexible use.

433_CP_210923_711_PRI
433_CP_210923_711_PRI
433_CP_210923_709_PRI
433_CP_210923_709_PRI

The extension is linked directly to the existing exhibition spaces by bridges through the silos on the first and second levels. Once the storage containers for grain located at the eastern end of the original building, the silos were renovated, their original materials retained and supplemented by a superstructure, maintaining the sculptural identity of the KuŐąppersmuŐąhle as an industrial monument. The silos simultaneously are used as exhibition spaces, a link between buildings, and a direct connection from ground-level access to a viewing platform above.

433_CO_0000_433_SI_1408-055
433_CO_0000_433_SI_1408-055

The new visitor staircase forms the second vertical access along the museum tour to the west, the first being the existing staircase next to the entrance. The form and material design of the new visitor staircase was developed from the language of the existing stair tower: the red colored concrete creates an interplay with the oiled clay plaster walls and the stair treads covered with reddish terrazzo, amplifying a tone-on-tone visual continuity.

433_CP_2108_722_SM_ADD-CP_HiRes_68
433_CP_2108_722_SM_ADD-CP_HiRes_68
433_CP_2108_720_SM_ADD-CP_HiRes_62
433_CP_2108_720_SM_ADD-CP_HiRes_62
433_CP_2108_718_SM_ADD-CP_HiRes_58
433_CP_2108_718_SM_ADD-CP_HiRes_58

The facade design of the extension echoes the existing building. The color of the bricks, proportion of individual elements, and rhythm of the grid and windows follow the lead of the original MKM, yet have a character of their own. The profile of the individual bricks harbour a handmade quality with textural recesses, and depending on the facade orientation and height, they lay at differing angles to to accentuate the various volumes and their alignments.

433_CP_2108_705_SM_ADD-CP_HiRes_11
433_CP_2108_705_SM_ADD-CP_HiRes_11
433_DR_2200_BRICK-1
433_DR_2200_BRICK-1
433_DR_2200_BRICK-2
433_DR_2200_BRICK-2
433_DR_2200_BRICK-3
433_DR_2200_BRICK-3

The extension displays two instances of the oversized lettering of K√úPPERSM√úHLE, one integrated into the eastern brickwork facade and another above the silo, emphasizing the industrial history of the site and its visual identity. The eastern facade sign is composed of individual bricks that were precisely shaped based on a digital 3D model, formed and baked, then laid in order.

433_CP_0000_502_MKMsign2
433_CP_0000_502_MKMsign2
433_CP_0000_503_MKMsign3
433_CP_0000_503_MKMsign3
433_CP_2108_711_SM_ADD-CP_HiRes_28
433_CP_2108_711_SM_ADD-CP_HiRes_28
433_CP_0000_505_MKMsign5
433_CP_0000_505_MKMsign5
433_CP_0000_504_MKMsign4
433_CP_0000_504_MKMsign4

Drawings

433_DR_0000_SITE_PLAN
433_DR_0000_SITE_PLAN
433_DR_2109_SDS_1000_LEVEL_0
433_DR_2109_SDS_1000_LEVEL_0
433_DR_2109_SDS_1200_LEVEL_2
433_DR_2109_SDS_1200_LEVEL_2
433_DR_2109_SDS_1300_LEVEL_3
433_DR_2109_SDS_1300_LEVEL_3
433_DR_0000_2000_SECTION_S1
433_DR_0000_2000_SECTION_S1
433_DR_0000_2400_SECTION_S2
433_DR_0000_2400_SECTION_S2
433_DR_0000_2200_SECTION_S3
433_DR_0000_2200_SECTION_S3

Team

Facts

Client
MKM Stiftung f√ľr Kunst und Kultur e.V.
Planning
General Planning: Drees & Sommer Schweiz GmbH, B√ľro Basel, Basel, Switzerland
HVAC Engineering : Drees & Sommer Advanced Building Systems, Köln, Germany
Structural Engineering: Drees & Sommer Advanced Building Systems, Stuttgart, Germany
Construction Management: Diete + Siepmann Ingenieur GmbH, Kaarst, Germany
Landscape Architect: Vogt Landschaftsarchitekten AG, Zurich, Switzerland
Specialist / Consulting
Fire Protection Consulting: HHP Berlin, Hamburg, Germany
Building Data
Site Area: 96'875 sqft, 9'000 sqm
Gross floor area (GFA): 53'819 sqft, 5'000 sqm
GFA above ground: 44'670 sqft, 4'150 sqm
GFA below ground: 9'149 sqft, 850 sqm
Number of levels: 5
Footprint: 9'149 sqft, 850 sqm
Length: 177 ft, 54 m
Width: 82 ft, 25 m
Height: 104 ft, 32 m
Gross volume (GV): 1'306'643 cbft, 37'000 cbm
Facade surface: 43'055 sqft, 4'000 sqm
Links
www.museum-kueppersmuehle.de

Bibliography

Luis Fern√°ndez-Galiano: ‚ÄúHerzog & de Meuron. Espacios de arte: Hong Kong, Duisburgo, Se√Ļl.‚ÄĚ In: Luis Fern√°ndez-Galiano (Ed.). ‚ÄúArquitectura Viva.‚ÄĚ Vol. No. 240, Madrid, Arquitectura Viva SRL, 12.2021. pp. 27-47.

Location