Herzog & de Meuron Basel Ltd.
4056 Basel, Switzerland
The site, used as a parking lot, is located in the very center of Manhattan.
For the new hotel experience requested by the client, Herzog & de Meuron and OMA proposed several combinations and arrangements of single towers.
In the initial design, the architects proposed waterscaping the public area.
The towers are bundled to form a compact volume reminiscent of a rock formation.
The metaphor of eroded natural stone amid the stone desert of the built environment continues in the cavelike designs of the rooms and the irregular window apertures.
1:1 plywood mock-up of a room erected near Basel.
The windows, eleven variations on the typology of a circle, are positioned at different heights depending on the use of the room.
The ground and lower floors are public spaces with 260 hotel rooms on the levels above.
- In Collaboration With
- Herzog & de Meuron, Basel, Switzerland and Rem Koolhaas/OMA, Rotterdam, Netherlands OMA Project Team: Partners: Rem Koolhaas, Dan Wood Project Manager: David Moore Project Team: Hans Focketyn, Alain Fouraux, Stan Vandriessche, Fenna Haakma Wagenaar
- Ian Schrager Hotels, New York, New York, USA
- This project was developed in collaboration with an architect licensed in the state of New York acting as the "Architect of Record". Herzog & de Meuron is not licensed to practice architecture in the state of New York.
- Lead Design Architect: Herzog & de Meuron, Basel, Switzerland; OMA, Rotterdam, Netherlands
- Associate Architect: Architecture Research Office LLP, New York, USA
- Associate Architect Early Phase: HLW, New York, USA
- Structural Engineering: LERA, New York, USA
- Quantity Surveyor: Gardiner & Theobald Inc, New York, USA
- MEP Engineering: Arup, New York, USA
- Specialist / Consulting
- Facade Consulting: Israel Berger & Associates Inc, New York, USA
- Facade Consulting: Emmer Pfenninger Partner AG, Münchenstein, Switzerland
- Building Data
- Site Area: 17'921 sqft, 1'665 sqm
Gerhard Mack, Herzog & de Meuron: “Herzog & de Meuron 1997-2001. The Complete Works. Volume 4.” Edited by: Gerhard Mack. Basel / Boston / Berlin, Birkhäuser, 2008. Vol. No. 4.
Nobuyuki Yoshida (Ed.): “Architecture and Urbanism. Herzog & de Meuron 2002-2006.” Tokyo, A+U Publishing Co., Ltd., 08.2006.
“Hotel Astor Place.” In: Fernando Marquez, Cecilia and Richard Levene (Eds.). “El Croquis. Oma Rem Koolhaas 1996/2006. Delirio y más. Delirious and more.” Vol. No. 131/132, Madrid, El Croquis Editorial, 2006. pp. 204 – 211.
“Cruce de Caminos. Hotel Astor Place, Manhattan.” In: Luis Fernández-Galiano (Ed.). “Arquitectura Viva. Corazón de Neón. Americanos y Europeos reinventan Nueva York.” Vol. No. 76, Madrid, Arquitectura Viva SL, 01.2001. pp. 60-61