The Board of Officers Room is one of five rooms designed for the Armory by Herter Brothers in 1880, and is also one of the few interiors by this design team still in existence.
Situated on the other side of the head house from the Veterans Room, it serves as an architectural counterpart . Everything that Tiffany undertook in the Veterans Room to underscore its representative function was eschewed here. Indeed, Herter Brothers made the avoidance of Tiffany-style ostentation their theme. The design is exquisite in its simplicity. Instead of incorporating the doors and windows into a continuous horizontal line, the designers, who originally trained as furniture makers, formulated them as independent architectural elements, extending from the wainscoting to the frieze. It is the superb craftsmanship of the mahogany woodwork and the painted surfaces that give this room its exceptional appearance.