19 Sep 2013 - PARK AVENUE ARMORY

293 News

Park Avenue Armory Unveils Restored Board of Officers Room
NEW YORK, USA, 19 September 2013 – Park Avenue Armory has completed the renovation and restoration of the Board of Officers Room, one of the largest historic rooms at the Armory. Designed originally by Herter Brothers, the Board of Officers Room is one of their few surviving interiors. The room was likened to a “royal apartment” when it first opened to the public in 1880, but fell into disrepair due to poor maintenance and water infiltration in the decades since. Through close collaboration with expert conservators and skilled artisans, the revitalization infuses the room with a contemporary sensibility through a series of subtle and delicate interventions. This extraordinary space is transformed for installations, intimate performances and other contemporary art programs. The first public performance in the room is on September 29.

The Herzog & de Meuron design for the Armory was first unveiled in 2011 and encompasses the entire five-story building, including: the massive 55,000-square-foot Wade Thompson Drill Hall and the former rifle range below it; eighteen period rooms on the first and second floors in the adjacent Head House; all public circulation spaces; relocated office space from the second to the third floor; a transformed fifth floor for rehearsal space; and back-of-house facilities on the lower level. The two first renovated pilot rooms Company D and E opened in 2011. Platt Byard Dovell White Architects is serving as the executive architect for the project.